How to Prevent Electrical Fires
Most electrical fires are caused by faulty cords, plugs and appliances so knowing safety and fire prevention are keys in avoiding fire damage to your home or business. The following are steps that homeowners and commercial property managers can take to avoid costly fire and soot damage.
Electrical Cord Safety:
- Inspect all cords for frayed or damaged casings
- Never damage or break off the third prong in a plug
- Never break off a third prong plug and plug into a two prong outlet
- Replace all 2 prong outlets with 3 prong outlets
- Do not pull out cords from the cord always pull out plugs from the plug.
- Use surge protectors sparingly as it is possible to overload a circuit if too many plugs are pluged into one outlet.
- Extension cords are to be used as temporary cords.
- Use the correct gage when using an extension cord
- Try to keep cords from running underneath a carpet or rug
- Keep cords away from water and heat sources
Follow manufacturers instructions
- Disconnect small appliances when not in use
- Disconnect appliances when you are going to clean them
- Unplug small appliances if you are going to leave town for an extended period
- Check phone chargers for overheating
For all your fire needs contact SERVPRO Mount Ephraim/Bellmawr at (856) 349-7318